Obtain a visa or permit for study or work placements abroad

23 May 2018

The Netherlands is part of the European Economic Area (EEA). As an EEA citizen, you do not need a visa for study in a different EEA country. Completing a work placement or getting a job alongside your studies is also allowed without having to apply for a work permit. If you hold non-EEA citizenship or if you plan to travel to a non-EEA country, different rules apply.

EEA countries

The EEA comprises all the Member States of the European Union: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom. Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are also EEA members.

Visas and permits for non-EEA countries

Obtaining a visa, residence permit or work permit for another European country is, generally speaking, relatively easy for EEA citizens. The procedure for non-European countries is less straightforward. Getting a visa for a work placement in the United States or Canada is particularly difficult. The application process can take months, sometimes up to a year! Developing countries also may take a long time to process an application. Make sure to start your preparations in good time.

The Fulbright Center can arrange visas for students to plan to do a placement in the US. This centre has years of experience when it comes to supporting students and arranging visas for students looking to complete a work placement in the United States. They also offer support to graduates and information on how to arrange a placement in the US.

Useful websites

Depending on the country, you may have to obtain a visa, work permit or residence permit. The United States, Canada, Australia and a number of other countries require you a arrange a combined visa and work permit before departure. Information about the requirements for the destination of your choice is available on Wilweg, a website operated by Nuffic. You can request any documents you need or contact the embassy of the country you plan to visit.

Last updated on 7 March 2019.