Do a work placement in the Netherlands or abroad

This provides information about carrying out a work placement in the Netherlands or abroad as an international Avans student. There are various options open to you, such as combining a placement with a programme.

Your department’s work placement coordinator can provide you with more details and contact information of businesses in the Netherlands and abroad. You and the department will decide together what the placement will involve. Please be aware that you have to obtain permission from your Avans school for any placement you want to pursue.

Work placement agreement and work permit

Your employer does not need to secure a work permit for you if you are completing a work placement. However, he must be able to present a standard work placement agreement at the request of the Labour Inspectorate. This means he must keep a copy of this agreement at the workplace. The standard agreement for work placements in the Netherlands can be found on the Model work placement agreements page. The agreement must be signed by you as the trainee, the work placement company and Avans as the Dutch educational institution.

If you are a foreign student of non-EEA nationality carrying out a work placement abroad, you must complete and submit the work placement abroad agreement before you leave. It will protect your interests and give you a clear overview of your obligations. This helps you avoid any unpleasant surprises.

If you are a non-EEA or Croatian national carrying out a work placement in the Netherlands, you are obliged to enter into a standard work placement agreement with your employer. This applies to you because you are in principle required to hold a work permit - Dutch: Tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV - due to your nationality. You do not have to apply for this work permit if you use the standard work placement agreement. Note that you do need to secure a work permit if you use a different agreement format, for example one offered by your work placement company. For this reason, we recommend you use the standard work placement agreement.

Residence permit

You are residing in the Netherlands because you are studying here. You have a residence permit for the purpose of study and will retain this during your work placement. If this is the case you will not need to submit an application to change your purpose of residence.

You can only carry out a work placement if you actually hold a residence card. If your application for a residence permit or extension is still pending, you cannot start the work placement.

If you are of non-EEA or Croatian nationality you can apply for a residence permit on a voluntary basis. If you do not hold a residence permit, you can still use the work placement agreement and you do not need to apply for a work permit.

Work placement allowance

Nothing has been established regarding payment and the level of allowances for a work placement. This is a matter between you as the trainee and the work placement provider. Note however that the payment of an allowance for a work placement has consequences for your tax liability, social security status and your obligation to take out healthcare insurance.

Reimbursements of expenses such as travel costs can be paid out tax-free. Allowances for living expenses, however, are classified as wages by the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration and these payments are therefore taxed. You must pay income tax and national insurance contributions on any other financial allowance paid. This is because as a trainee you benefit from national insurance in the Netherlands.

Health insurance

If actual financial remuneration other than reimbursement of expenses is issued for a work placement, as a trainee you are obliged to take out Dutch health insurance. This is because trainees fall within the scope of the Dutch national insurance schemes. You can also apply for a healthcare allowance.

If you do not receive a financial allowance for you work placement, you can continue to use the insurance policy that provides you with insurance cover during your studies.

Last updated on 27 June 2018.