Arranging insurance for a period of study or a work placement abroad

It is important to be properly insured, especially when you are traveling abroad to study or for a work placement. The obligatory Dutch health insurance and personal liability insurance will not provide sufficient coverage in these situations. This means you will need to arrange additional insurance.

The most import forms of insurance cover that we recommend for a period of study or a work placement abroad are:

  • medical expenses
  • personal liability (in case you cause injury or damage to others or their property)
  • repatriation (in case you need to return home, for instance following an accident)

You may also find it useful to arrange insurance for your luggage. Something we strongly recommend is arranging insurance with a company that offers a 24/7 emergency assistance service. An emergency assistance service can help you in the event of your being admitted to hospital or if you need to be repatriated.

‘I already have sufficient insurance’

You probably already have a number of insurance policies, such as basic health insurance and travel insurance. Do take note of the following points:

  • Most travel insurance policies only provide coverage for up to 60 consecutive days.
  • The majority of insurance policies do not cover studying or work placements.
  • Dutch basic health insurance plans only cover expenses up to a maximum of the Dutch rate. If medical expenses in another country are greater than in the Netherlands, you will need to pay the difference yourself.
  • Medical assistance abroad is subject to a policy excess, which you have to pay first.

Be sure to check your cover abroad with your current insurance companies. And don't forget to request a European Health Insurance Card from your health insurance company. This will allow you to get assistance from medical services within Europe whenever you need it.

Work placement abroad

If you are going to be earning money abroad, you might lose your right to the basic health insurance in the Netherlands. Please contact the SVB, because it could be that you need to take out health insurance in the country in which you will have your work placement.

If you are going abroad for a work placement and you will be paid during that placement, contact the Dutch Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB, Social Insurance Bank). The SVB will assess whether you can keep your Dutch health insurance or whether you will need to arrange health insurance in the country you will be going to for your work placement. See the website of the Sociale Verzekeringsbank for further information.

Arranging insurance

Be aware that you are responsible for taking out adequate insurance yourself. You can look for insurance companies that offer all the necessary insurance policies, or you can arrange a complete student package including all these types of cover, and possibly more.

Aon Student Insurance, 1 of our partners, offers a student package. We have made agreements with them so that they can offer you a discount on the insurance premium. Another package including all these types of cover (and more) is the Insurance Certificate for Students (ICS). With this package, you are insured from €0.83 per day. In order to take advantage of the discount, you will need to arrange the insurance via

More information about ICS travel insurance, the insurance terms and conditions and the coverage are available at

Own responsibility 

Be aware that you are responsible for taking out adequate insurance. Avans accepts no liability arising from claims rejected by the insurance company, or claims that are only partially reimbursed, for any damages suffered. Any misuse of this service provided to its students may result in sanctions in accordance with the provisions of Section 8 of the Avans Students' Charter. 

Insurance in the Netherlands 

In the Netherlands, all citizens are obliged to have Dutch Basic Health Insurance (in Dutch: Basis zorgverzekering) in place. As an international student, you may also need to take out this insurance. This is most likely if you will be working in the Netherlands or if you receive payment for a work placement here in the Netherlands.

If you do not receive a financial allowance for your work placement, you can continue to use the insurance policy that provides you with cover during your studies.

Please visit the Insurance page for more information, and for details of companies you could contact about taking out insurance. Or contact the Dutch Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport initiative ‘Zorgverzekeringslijn’ at or call +31 88 900 6960 (from abroad) and 0800 64 64 644 (if you are in the Netherlands). You can also visit their website Zorgverzekeringslijn

Read this flyer from Zorgverzekeringslijn.

More information 

For more information, please contact Avans’s International Office. You can send an email to or call us on +31 88 525 80 01. Alternatively, you can drop by the Student Information Desk. 

Last updated on 24 July 2020.
Online counseling Student Support

If you need any support, if you have doubts about your studies or in case of questions concerning your development, please make sure to plan a meeting during the consultation hour. This can be done using the button below. We will schedule an appointment of 30 minutes for you.

Schedule an appointment

Contacting the Student Counsellors’ Office

Are you experiencing personal problems or other issues that may have an impact on your academic progress, such as a chronic illness, a functional impairment, stress or dyslexia? Call the Student Information Desk on 088-525 75 50 to make an appointment or do this online. If you have any other questions send an e-mail to

Make an appointment online