Incidental earnings

In 2014, you are permitted to earn € 13.729,80 in incidental earnings on top of your financial aid for studying. This concerns your total income or taxable earnings. You can find more information about this on the DUO website.

If you come to the Netherlands to live, work or study you are likely to have some questions about the arrangements you need to make. At the Nuffic site you will find all information you need to know what to arrange concerning a work permit, health insurance and some helpful websites.

Information concerning government organizations you may have to deal with, like taxes and social security you will find here. Fill in the profile and you will see a list of subjects that are relevant for you.

Part-time jobs

For instance you could find a job. Information about part time jobs you will find on this website under the heading Student life > ‘part-time jobs’ 

‘ASA employment agency' can also tell you everything you need to know about the conditions under which a foreign student is permitted to work (these conditions are different for students from the EEA and those from non-EEA countries).

PLEASE NOTE: The obligation to take out Dutch public healthcare insurance only applies to you if you are:

  • economically active, meaning you have a job, a side job or a paid internship, or
  • 30 years of age or older and will stay in the Netherlands for longer than one year.

More information check 'Insurance' and check here to know what to do to be properly insured.

Social security number

In order to be able to work in the Netherlands, you need to have a citizen service number (‘burgerservicenummer’ in Dutch), which you will receive after registering at the city hall. The International Office arranges this registration on your behalf in the first week after arrival.


For information about scholarships visit the following website:

Last updated on 15 January 2015.
Online counseling Student Support

If you need any support, if you have doubts about your studies or in case of questions concerning your development, please make sure to plan a meeting during the consultation hour. This can be done using the button below. We will schedule an appointment of 30 minutes for you.

Schedule an appointment

Contacting the Student Counsellors’ Office

Are you experiencing personal problems or other issues that may have an impact on your academic progress, such as a chronic illness, a functional impairment, stress or dyslexia? Call the Student Information Desk on 088-525 75 50 to make an appointment or do this online. If you have any other questions send an e-mail to

Make an appointment online